Whether you’re choosing a headstone or monument for the first time or you have actually travelled this path in the past, the different factions of the process can get a little complicated.
To make things simpler, this Guide will take you through each of the decisions you’ll require to make in picking the design and style of a headstone or monument, with descriptions and illustrations of each of your options.
You may also want to take a look and read the review here for monumental stone masonry in Melbourne.
What Is A Headstone?
A headstone likewise called tombstone, gravestone, or serious marker is a monument placed at the head of the tomb to make the place where the deceased is buried.
A headstone will memorialize your loved one for many years to come. The style needs to mirror the deceased personality and the method they lived their life.
Besides granite and bronze, other products available are marble, slate, sandstone, fieldstone, bronze and limestone. A variety of colours are offered, and several are terrific for comprehensive inscriptions and carvings.
Marble and any of the non-granite stones will wear down over time, however, blurring information, so that need to be considered when choosing elaborate carvings and fonts.
Kinds Of Headstones?
These are the common types of headstones:
Flat headstones (flat marker or yard marker) a flat tablet made of stone, concrete, or bronze that is set flat in the ground. This conventional headstone is readily available in a variety of colours, sizes, surfaces, and products.
The flat tablet— a block of stone or concrete with a flat top. The engraving can be on the stone, or on a plaque attached to the stone;
Desk tablet or sloper— a block of stone or concrete with a sloping front face. The inscription can be on the stone, or on a plaque connected to the stone; headstone and base.
Modification is expected when picking a headstone design, and there are numerous choices that can be tailored according to your personal preferences. Headstones come in a variety of sizes and shapes.
If you’re not exactly sure what kind of grave marker to choose, walk through the cemeteries and gravestones in your location to get a much better idea of the different styles.
Before picking the shape, style of the surface of the headstone, you must first pick the kind of stone that the headstone will be made from.
Here are the popular products of the headstone:
- Granite is the most flexible and adaptable stone. It is readily available in various colours and surfaces and is shown to last.
- Marble is a brilliant product that contains unique blue and grey veins. It is frequently chosen for visual factors because it is smooth and stunning material.
- Limestone remains a popular option. It is a standard stone that weathers significantly with time.
- Bronze is an exceptionally long-lasting product that will naturally darken in time and requires little upkeep.
- Stainless steel– this is a more recent type of headstone. Stainless is a tough product that is less vulnerable to weathering compared with many stone products.